Cycling Ride Panama Canal
A bike race in Panama that crossed both the Amercias bridge and the Centennial bridge
On September 8th, 2013, Cycling Ride Panama Canal took place. It was the first ever cycling competition in Panama that crossed both the Amercias bridge and the Centennial bridge on the same route allowing the participants to admire the Panama Canal during their ride.
This mega event attracted hundreds of participants from Panama as well as other Latin American countries such as Colombia, Costa Rica, Argentina, Brazil and Venezuela, and Europe. The event is expected to become even bigger in the years to come and expected to give Panama a place in the international community, as a favorite destination for sports tourism.
There were two routes that the participants were able to choose from:
1) Ruta con Alas: 61km sponsored by Red Bull. This route started in the Cinta Costera (Coastal strip) towards Albrook, going along Pedro Miguel Locks, Gamboa lake, Chilibre and back to Cinta Costera. In this route the participants didnt cross any of the bridges.
2) Ruta Nitro City: 104km sponsored by Nitro City Hotel. This route started in the Cinta Costera (Coastal strip) towards Albrook, going along Pedro Miguel Locks, Gamboa lake, Chilibre, Centennial bridge all the way to Westland Mall in Chorrera and back towards the Americas bridge to the Cinta Costera.
In both routes participants were able to choose between the competition category or the recreational category.
The event had full support from multiple public entities like 911 ambulances and the Panama Transit Authority to guarantee the safety of the participants. Also private entities supported the hydratation spots, the Panama City Sighseeing buses were following the race so fans could be close to the participants during the entire routes for free. My Guide Panama was also present giving the event multimedia coverage and support.
During the race, there was also a sports morning in the Cinta Costera opened for the public to enjoy while waiting for the participants to return. This morning included a spinning class, a crossfit class ,a yoga class, a jiu jitsu class and 'Cycling Ride Kids' with a small obstacle track for the young ones to also participate in the event.
There were great prizes for the following categories:
1) 104km: Elite , Master, Amateurs and Women.
2) 61km: Masculine and Femenine.
The winners of the first Cycling Ride Panama were:
RUTA NITRO 104KM
- EDUARDO VALLARINO (WINNER OF THE CYCLING RIDE CUP)
- JOSE LUIS PINEDA
- GENIS MURILLO
- ONEL JUAREZ
- EDWIN ORTEGA
- GAETANO GOLDONI
- EDWARD CASTILLO
- RODRIGO RODRIGUEZ
- JUAN CARLOS HEILBRON
- KAREN LEZCANO
- MERY CEBALLOS
- MIREYA WILSON
RUTA CON ALAS 61KM
- LESTHER DE LEON
- BELQUIS PERLAZA
- ERIC DE LEON
- ANDREA AYALA
- EMMA JORGE
- LESBIA ORTIZ
For more pictures, you can see them on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.620738947965834.1073741834.210470768992656&type=1&l=e060ce3bc9
Keep tunned for the next Cycling Ride Panama Canal!