Panama Regional Overview
Located in Central America, Panama, most of us associate with the famous Panama Canal. In addition, a traditional Panama hat, hand-made from the leaves of the Ecuadorian palm, as well as ships proudly waving the Panama flag (the country has the most registered vessels in the world), or the view of Skyline Panama City - a panorama of tall buildings against the sky in the capital of Panama with the same name. However, in order to fully get to know Panama, its history and culture, and mainly to see the unique nature, rich vegetation and the unique world of animals, we should visit this country at least once. Few people know that according to various surveys conducted on the inhabitants, Panama is one of the happiest places in the world! Panama is a strip of land with a width of 50 to 200 kilometers, which connects not only both Americas, and above all through the Panama Canal is a combination of two oceans, the Atlantic and the Pacific.
Panama is divided into 9 provinces: Bocas del Toro, Chiriqui, Cocle, Colon, Darien, Herrera, Los Santos, Panama and Veraguas, and one special region: San Blas - Comarca Guna Yala, each one offering great things to do to suite all tastes.
What you should know about Panama:
- The circulating currency is the US dollar USD called Balboa, there are no exchange rate controls or restrictions in the country so that funds can flow freely from and to the country.
- The Colón Duty Free Area is the home of the largest international distribution and trading center in the Western Hemisphere (second in the world after Hong Kong), over 1,500 international import and export companies operate within its boundaries, which is USD 11 billion per year.
- The country is the home of the modern and largest banking center in the world right after the Swiss Zurich. In the city of Panama, there are 150 banks from 35 different countries.
- The official language in Panama is Spanish, the second most used - it is English.
- The capital of Panama is the city of Panama with the same name as the state, it is the largest city in Panama, the metropolitan area inhabits almost half of the people of the whole country (total population of Panama: 4 million).
- Panama does not have its own army, it was liquidated in 1990. The authorities decided to take this step to minimize the occurrence of the coup. Today, Panama enjoys one of the more stable administrations in Latin America.
- In the narrowest part of the country, only 81 km divides the Pacific Ocean from the Caribbean coast in the Atlantic. On a clear day, both oceans are visible from one place - from the top of the Baru volcano.
- It is a country where you can swim in the Caribbean and the Pacific on the same day.
- Panama's taxis in the capital are inexpensive and easy to spot (yellow color cars) Panama has the largest commercial shipping register in the world.
- The Pan-American Highway is a road network connecting North and South America with a total length of about 30,000 kilometers. It starts in Alaska (USA) and ends in the south of Argentina. The Pan-American route connects almost all coastal Pacific countries of the Americas in a combined motorway system. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the Pan-American Highway is the world's longest "motor-way".
Panama has a lot to offer…don’t take too long, there is a great adventure waiting for you!