Panama City: Canal Railway & Gatun Locks Half-Day Tour11 Reviews
Spend a half day traveling from Panama City to see the Panama Canal. Enjoy a 1-hour train ride along canal and travel the Isthmus of Panama from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. Cross Lake Gatun and visit the Gatun Locks, admiring the lush rainforests.
- Travel from Panama City to Colon by rail
- Sit back and relax on a 1-hour train ride along the Panama Canal
- Cross the Isthmus of Panama from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean
- Take in the view of the lush rainforests surrounding you
- See various small towns along the way, as well as the islands of Gatun Lake
- Tour the Gatun Locks of the Panama Canal and hear about the history of the place
- Relax on your way home from Colon to your hotel in Panama City
DescriptionTake an interesting and unique journey by rail as you spend a half day traveling to and exploring the Panama Canal. Depart from Panama City and make your way to Colon, enjoying a 1-hor journey by rail along the canal. You will depart from Panama City in the early morning and follow a route that is 58 miles (93 kilometers) long across the Isthmus of Panama, journeying from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. Take in the lush rainforests and small towns of Panama and marvel at the small islands of the man-made Gatun Lake as you traverse this scenic route. Arriving in Colon, you will be taken on a guided tour of the Gatun Locks of Panama Canal. Explore this impressive installation, located between Lake Gatun and the Atlantic Ocean. You will witness spectacular examples of canal engineering and learn all about the construction of the Panama Canal and its importance to the region. Built in 1855, the Panama Canal railway was the first trans-continental route in the Americas. The railway has been open to tourists since 2001, and offers a truly one-of-a-kind experience for international travelers. Be a part of this historic experience and come away with remarkable memories of your time in Panama. You will be transferred from Colon back to your hotel in Panama City at the end of your tour.
IncludesTransportation Train ticket Bilingual driver/guide (English and Spanish) Entrance fees Gratuities (optional)
- Guides in other languages (German, French, Italian) upon request. Please wear comfortable shoes and don't forget to bring your camera, sunscreen, hat, and a bottle of water.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability