Panama Canal - Few know exactly where this country is, however, almost everyone has heard about its channel, a key piece in world trade.
The new expansion of the channel, carried out with Spanish participation and inaugurated in mid-2016
Are you a business owner in Panama?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Panama.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
Directions to Panama Canal
There is no more universal claim of Panama than the amazing, magnificent and incredible engineering work that connects two great oceans, Atlantic and Pacific. The Panama Canal is one of the best shortcuts in the world, and extends for 80 kilometers from Panama City, the capital of the country, on the Pacific coast, to Colon, in the Atlantic, crossing the continental divide. It is worth seeing this wonder. As impressive as the freighters that pass through their locks are the legions of animals that watch from the edge of the jungle. Two visitor centers offer observation platforms and museums that explain how it was built and expanded. You can also do boat and kayak excursions, even hire a short trip through the big gates. The new expansion of the channel, carried out with Spanish participation and inaugurated in mid-2016, is the new marvel of world engineering -it has cost more than 15,000 million euros-, an added reason to see it for the first time or revisit it.
- The Panama Canal was inaugurated on August 15, 1914. Prior to its opening, the natural passages used between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were the Strait of Magellan and Cape Horn, located at the southern tip of Chile.
- During construction, more than 27,000 workers died, mainly from malaria, yellow fever and accidents at work: at least 22,000 lost their lives in the failed French project and more than 5,000 in the works of the United States.
- The steam Ancón was the first ship that crossed the Panama Canal
- Panama assumed the administration of the channel at noon on December 31, 1999. The highest normal toll that has been paid to transit the canal is US $ 317,142, on May 7, 2008 by freighter MSC Fabienne
- The average toll rate is around US $ 54,000 Since its opening, the channel has provided a quality transit service to more than 1,000,000 ships. The average time it takes a ship to cross the Canal is 10 hours
- The fastest transit was made by the Hydrofoil Pegasus of the US Navy, in 2 hours and 41 minutes
- The locks of the channel most visited by tourists are the Miraflores locks. The entrance has a cost of 15 dollars per person. Includes sighting of boats crossing the canal and a video screening
- But here between us, if you arrive at the lockers locker, and say you are going to the restaurant, you are given a free entrance ticket. Once up, ask for a beer worth three dollars and you can stay to see all the boats you want. The visual, even, is much better than those who paid the $ 15
- The sluice gates weigh 750 tons each When the artificial lake of Gatun was built, an extensive hill of the sector was turned into the Island of Barro Colorado, where the Smithsonian Institute has an installation for the investigation of the tropical flora and fauna that is discussed in a Natural Reserve
- See also Gatun Lake, nature and adventure days in the Panama Canal The material excavated from the Canal would be enough to build a replica of the Great Wall of China from San Francisco to New York
- The size of the locks is such that it could contain 3 Statues of Liberty lying on them. The Panama Canal is about 80 kilometers long from the deep waters of the Atlantic to the deep waters of the Pacific
- It is capable of withstanding an earthquake of 9 degrees on the Richter scale The coast of the Pacific Ocean is approximately 30 centimeters higher than that of the Atlantic at that height
- The record number of ships crossing the canal on the same day is 65 ships. A swimmer crossed the canal on August 23, 1928. Richard Halliburton paid 35 cents to spend, according to his weight
- The expansion of the Panama Canal consists of the construction of two locks complexes of three levels, each with three water re-use tanks per level, one on the Pacific side and one on the Atlantic side
- The new locks of the Panama Canal will allow the passage of between 10 and 12 ships daily, in addition to the 40 daily transits of the current Canal, depending on the mix of ships
You may also like
The Santa Maria Luxury Collection HotelCosta del Este, Panama, Panama City
The Santa Maria, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Golf Resort in Panama City, offers a fitness center and garden, located in Panama City, 14 km from Rod Carew National Stadium. In addition, it has a 24-hour reception and restaurant. There is free WiFi and an ATM. The rooms at the Santa Maria Hotel have a closet, a flat-screen TV and air conditioning. A buffet or continental breakfast is served daily. It has a business center and tour desk with ticket service and excursion organization.
Grupo VerdeAzul is an investment company that owns and operates real estate and hospitality assets, invests capital in new companies and manages a substantial portfolio of liquid and illiquid assets. Always striving to be a premier company by investing, developing, managing and financing a variety of assets from various market segments,
La FabricaPanama City
La Fábrica is an authentic brewery and gastro bar whose originality lies in the craftsmanship of practically all its gastronomic offer, from the varied beers that supply the creative handmade siphons...
JW Marriott HotelPunta Pacifica, Panama City,
This 5-star hotel, located on the Bay of Panama, has several restaurants. The rooms are spacious and modern, have a private balcony and offer views of the ocean. The JW Marriott Panama has a spacious pool area, as well as a terrace area with a restaurant facing the water. In the hotel there is a complete floor that houses design stores.
The Spa at BristolCalle 50, Panama City, Panama City
The Spa at Bristol offers wellness, health & relaxation. Customers will have an amazing when they enter into The Spa at the 25 floor of the Bristol Tower. The Bristol Hotel's commitment is to recover a complete state of wellness through a range of manual therapy, therapeutic and relaxation techniques.
Pols AttorneysObarrio, Panama City, Panama City
Located in one of the most important financial, maritime and commercial epicenters of the world, the mission of their office in Panama City is to provide the highest quality legal advice and service response capacity using the vast knowledge and experience available through of the variety and scope of legal services offerings.
Buenaventura Golf & Beach Resort PanamaBuenaventura, Cocle, Panama
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort is a high end resort in a beautiful beach community with refined elegance, impeccable service and high level comfort. This accommodation is 11 minutes walk from the beach. This establishment is located in Panama.
CaliopeCasco Antiguo, Panama City, Panama City
Chef, Martino Pace, with experience in Italy, together with the Executive Chef of the Tantalo Group Pierre de Janon have combined their creativity and experience to provide a unique gastronomic adventure...
VPiso by Tomillo PanamaCasco Antiguo, Panama City,
Given that Panama City, Panama is blessed with year-round warm weather, what better way to enjoy the delightfully brisk air, than with a cocktail in hand? Recently opened V Piso is a welcome addition to the Casco rooftop bar scene. Perched luxuriously above Restaurante Tomillo, you could make a stopover here for Tapas and a tequila sunrise.
The Strangers ClubCasco Antiguo, Panama City,
The Strangers Club opened at the end of June 2017 in the Casco Viejo neighborhood of Panama City. The name is an homage to the original Strangers Club, which was in Colon from the beginning of the 20th century up until the 1970s.