Panama Canal - Few know exactly where this country is, however, almost everyone has heard about its channel, a key piece in world trade.
The new expansion of the channel, carried out with Spanish participation and inaugurated in mid-2016
Are you a business owner in Panama?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Panama.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
Directions to Panama Canal
There is no more universal claim of Panama than the amazing, magnificent and incredible engineering work that connects two great oceans, Atlantic and Pacific. The Panama Canal is one of the best shortcuts in the world, and extends for 80 kilometers from Panama City, the capital of the country, on the Pacific coast, to Colon, in the Atlantic, crossing the continental divide. It is worth seeing this wonder. As impressive as the freighters that pass through their locks are the legions of animals that watch from the edge of the jungle. Two visitor centers offer observation platforms and museums that explain how it was built and expanded. You can also do boat and kayak excursions, even hire a short trip through the big gates. The new expansion of the channel, carried out with Spanish participation and inaugurated in mid-2016, is the new marvel of world engineering -it has cost more than 15,000 million euros-, an added reason to see it for the first time or revisit it.
- The Panama Canal was inaugurated on August 15, 1914. Prior to its opening, the natural passages used between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were the Strait of Magellan and Cape Horn, located at the southern tip of Chile.
- During construction, more than 27,000 workers died, mainly from malaria, yellow fever and accidents at work: at least 22,000 lost their lives in the failed French project and more than 5,000 in the works of the United States.
- The steam Ancón was the first ship that crossed the Panama Canal
- Panama assumed the administration of the channel at noon on December 31, 1999. The highest normal toll that has been paid to transit the canal is US $ 317,142, on May 7, 2008 by freighter MSC Fabienne
- The average toll rate is around US $ 54,000 Since its opening, the channel has provided a quality transit service to more than 1,000,000 ships. The average time it takes a ship to cross the Canal is 10 hours
- The fastest transit was made by the Hydrofoil Pegasus of the US Navy, in 2 hours and 41 minutes
- The locks of the channel most visited by tourists are the Miraflores locks. The entrance has a cost of 15 dollars per person. Includes sighting of boats crossing the canal and a video screening
- But here between us, if you arrive at the lockers locker, and say you are going to the restaurant, you are given a free entrance ticket. Once up, ask for a beer worth three dollars and you can stay to see all the boats you want. The visual, even, is much better than those who paid the $ 15
- The sluice gates weigh 750 tons each When the artificial lake of Gatun was built, an extensive hill of the sector was turned into the Island of Barro Colorado, where the Smithsonian Institute has an installation for the investigation of the tropical flora and fauna that is discussed in a Natural Reserve
- See also Gatun Lake, nature and adventure days in the Panama Canal The material excavated from the Canal would be enough to build a replica of the Great Wall of China from San Francisco to New York
- The size of the locks is such that it could contain 3 Statues of Liberty lying on them. The Panama Canal is about 80 kilometers long from the deep waters of the Atlantic to the deep waters of the Pacific
- It is capable of withstanding an earthquake of 9 degrees on the Richter scale The coast of the Pacific Ocean is approximately 30 centimeters higher than that of the Atlantic at that height
- The record number of ships crossing the canal on the same day is 65 ships. A swimmer crossed the canal on August 23, 1928. Richard Halliburton paid 35 cents to spend, according to his weight
- The expansion of the Panama Canal consists of the construction of two locks complexes of three levels, each with three water re-use tanks per level, one on the Pacific side and one on the Atlantic side
- The new locks of the Panama Canal will allow the passage of between 10 and 12 ships daily, in addition to the 40 daily transits of the current Canal, depending on the mix of ships
You may also like
The Buenaventura Zoo is a wildlife rescue center that invites you to find out more about conservation and have a closer relationship with nature. It is a rehabilitation c
AltaPlaza MallPanama City
In the Vía Centenario a new meeting point of Panama is born. A point where entertainment and good times are assured. A point where you will find a wide variety of servic
BUENAVENTURA MARINA is Buenaventura’s newest amenity. The Marina will have first-class services and facilities for all the sea lovers. Drystack 40 spaces
Coiba National Park - Isla CoibaVeraguas, Panama
Coiba National Park is one of the most beautiful places in Panama. It offers diverse marine life, coral reefs, wildlife, hiking trails, sport fishing and great swimming b
Viajes San Blas PanamaComarca Guna Yala,
The Guna Yala islands measure a little more than 1 hectare with the natural foliage of coconut trees which contribute to its very tropical appearance. The cabins are made
Isla IguanaLos Santos, Panama
Isla Iguana is the top natural attraction of the Azuero Peninsula offering the only white sand beach and the best preserve coral reefs of the region.It is a snorkeling an
Cebaco Island has 8,500 hectares with a population of approximately 650 people. Most of the inhabitants are native fishermen, humble and hardworking. Isla Cebaco offer
La Yeguada Forest ReserveVeraguas, Panama
La Yeguada is the first forest reserve in Panama and due to its spectacular scenery with mountains, lakes and even a waterfall it has become one of the most popular campi
Escudo de VeraguasVeraguas,
Hidden beaches, crystal clear waters, white sands and thick jungle make this destination an earthly paradise. There lives a gnabe community and animals as wonderful as th
Buenaventura Sports ClubCocle,
Buenaventura Sports Club is the new sports complex of Buenaventura created for the whole family. This complex features all the facilities and equipment necessary to pract